Wednesday 7 January 2009

How to install Ubuntu on to a USB Flash Drive

I'm curious to see how well the Acer Aspire One handles other operating systems, but I'm really happy with distribution of Linux which comes installed as standard, it's quick and easy to use.

So I thought that I would install Ubuntu onto a flashdrive.
Ubuntu is a popular version of Linux and my goal is to use it to develop my Linux knowledge and to try and get Slingplayer working on it.

Here are the steps I took to install Ubuntu onto a flash drive:
1) There is a usful utility called Unetbootin which will create a self booting USB drive and automatically install a Ubuntu distribution onto it. For this exercise I will be using the Windows version. It can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/

2) Next download a disk imageof Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download


3) Next run UNetbootin. Make sure the Diskimage button is selected, and select the ISO file that you downloaded.


And click on ok.
A booting version of Ubuntu is now installed on the USB drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment