Monday 29 December 2008

Initial Thoughts on the Acer Aspire One and specifications

I've now had the Acer One for just over 24 hours and here are my initial thoughts.

Firstly here are the official specs:
  • Processor: Intel Atom N270 (1.6 GHz)
  • Chipset: Intel 82945GMS + Intel 82801GBM
  • OS: Highly modified Acer Linux (Acer smartfile manager, home page navigator)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Mass storage: 8 GB SSD
  • Screen size: 8.9" Acer CrystalBrite (1024x600), LED backlight
  • Wireless: 802.11b/g, Acer SignalUp technology
  • Ports: 5-in-1 cardreader, SD slot, 3xUSB, VGA, RJ-45, headphone/lineout, microphone, Acer CrystalEye webcam
  • Keyboard: 95% full size keyboard, touchpad with scroll zone
  • Dimensions: 249 (w) x 170 (d) x 29 (h) mm, 2.17 lbs
  • Power: 3 cell, 2200 mAh, 30 W AC adapter

Now here are my thoughts:

The Aspire One looks fantastic, I decided on the blue model, and it really looks the business. The finish is smooth and is professional looking.
The screen is in wide screen format and is nice and bright making all the text is easily readable. Images look glorious possibly down to the slightly smaller size of the screen.
The System boots in around 15 seconds, which is certainly much better then my old Vista Laptop.

So far I've tried 2 applications, the Internet browser and the Messenger application. The browser supplied is Firefox 2 and obviously is more then fine for Internet browsing, the pages are well rendered and look great on the wide screen. BBC Iplayer and Youtube seem to work well so far.
I was pleasantly surprised with the Messenger application, (after I was able to get it working - more to follow) it connects to the MSN network fine, and even supports video and audio calling with the built in camera and Microphone.

One issue that I have found is that the system is locked down tight, which means that you can't install further applications, there are easy ways to resolve this and I'll look into these further as I'll need to install a few apps later on.

So far on initial usage I am very impressed with the Aspire One

No comments:

Post a Comment